Maximizing Your Compensation After a Collision
When you are involved in a car accident, it can be challenging to know where to turn and who to trust. In many cases, you may be contacted by a negligent party’s insurance representative looking to settle your claim quickly and for the least amount of money possible.
At the Law Offices of Garrett T. Ogata, we represent individuals who have been injured or lost a loved one in a car accident. The sudden impact of an auto collision can result in severe harm that lasts a lifetime. Let our knowledgeable legal team help you get the compensation you deserve. Contact our office today for a free, no-obligation consultation.
Steps to Take Following a Car Accident
The steps you take in the immediate aftermath of a car accident can directly impact your recovery. Insurance companies will look for any opportunity to downplay or outright deny valid claims against their insured.
In order to receive maximum compensation after an auto accident:
- Contact local law enforcement. When speaking with the 9-1-1 dispatcher, let them know whether there were any injuries and the extent of the damage so that they can call for emergency medical personnel.
- Obtain party and witness information. You should get contact and insurance information from anyone involved in the accident, as well as a report number from the responding officer. Check to see whether there were any eyewitnesses and ask for their information. Do not make any statements or admissions of fault to another party, witness, or insurance agent. It is not your job to determine liability.
- Write a detailed account of what happened. As soon as you are able, write a detailed account of what happened before, during, and after the accident. Note the road and weather conditions. It is essential to do this while it is still fresh in your mind.
- Take pictures and videos at the scene. Unless injury or safety prevents it, take photos and video from the location of the accident. Document any damage to your vehicle or property.
- Continue medical treatment. It is crucial to your recovery to seek and continue medical treatment for any injuries you sustained. Failure to obtain medical treatment for injuries related to the accident can limit your compensation.
- Contact an experienced attorney. It is in your best interest to have your case reviewed by an attorney before making any statements or accepting a settlement. Obtaining legal representation will help to ensure that you receive maximum compensation after a car accident.
Injured in a Car Accident? Get a Free Consultation Today
If you have been injured in a car accident, contact the Law Offices of Garrett T. Ogata today for a free consultation. Attorney Ogata will work with you to determine whether you have a valid claim for damages and who should be held responsible for your injuries.
Insurance companies will often try to take advantage of unrepresented injury victims, using high-pressure tactics to get them to settle quickly. Never settle for less than your case is worth. Contact our office to discuss how we can help.