How Do I Get My Records Sealed?

Written by: The Law Offices of Garrett T. Ogata

Getting Your Criminal Records Sealed in Nevada

If you have been arrested or convicted of a crime in Nevada, you know it can affect nearly every aspect of your life. Having a criminal record can make it more difficult to get a job, volunteer in youth organizations, obtain housing, and more. Many people do not realize that they might be eligible to seal their criminal records, enabling them to move forward with their lives.

At the Law Offices of Garrett T. Ogata, we can help get your criminal record sealed. Our experienced legal team will walk you through the process and handle every aspect of the case. Criminal record sealing can be complicated without legal assistance, which is why individuals hoping to secure this form of relief are strongly encouraged to call our office. 

If you would like more information on getting your Nevada criminal records sealed, contact our office at (702) 366-0891 for a free consultation. 

Criminal Records Sealing Process

The criminal records sealing process varies depending on the jurisdiction that is handling the case. While sealing a record does not destroy it, it does remove it from public view. Sealing your criminal record can help you obtain better employment, professional licensing, and loans. However, without an attorney, the procedure can be overwhelming. 

Once you have completed the statutory waiting period, you can petition the court to have your record sealed. First, you will need to get a certified copy of your Criminal History Report. Since each jurisdiction handles the process differently, you need to ensure that you understand the local court's rules regarding the request.

The petition involves several legal documents that must be filled out properly and submitted to the appropriate court. Incomplete or improper paperwork can cost you time and money. A criminal defense attorney can ensure that the process runs as smoothly and quickly as possible.

Record Sealing Cases We Handle

Most criminal cases are eligible for record sealing; however, there are some exceptions. For instance, if you were convicted of a driving under the influence (DUI) that resulted in injury or death to another person or of a sex offense, you are not eligible for this form of relief. In addition, crimes against children and home invasions with a deadly weapon are ineligible.

Cases we handle that are eligible for record sealing:

  • Eligible felony offenses
  • Misdemeanors
  • Violation of a protection order
  • Traffic violations

Depending on the crime, you may have a statutory waiting period from 1 year to 10 years. If you were acquitted of the crime or the charges were dismissed, you may be able to immediately petition the court for a sealing of the record.

Contact Our Office for a Free Consultation

If you were arrested or convicted of a crime, contact our office at (702) 366-0891 to discuss whether you are eligible to have your criminal record sealed. Our legal team will help you understand your rights and determine your legal options. 

Get a free, no-obligation consultation with a highly-qualified attorney today. Do not wait. Call now to get started.

Share This Story

Interested in this topic? Your friends might be too! Consider sharing this story to your social media channels by clicking on one of the icons below.

Your Best Option Forward

In legal matters, timing is everything. When it comes to your defense don't wait until later. To get started now, contact our firm through one of the methods below and request a free consultation. 

I Want To...
uploadmagnifiercrossmenu linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram